PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER: So how did the Zombie Infection start?

Floobersman
09-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Well If you havn't gotten past Act 3 dont read this.

But if you have, I think in Act 3 they might have explained how the infection started but I didnt catch it. Something with the natives eating each others brains. Did anyone catch this or is it still a mystery.

Feral_Soul
09-13-2011, 12:16 PM
The guy in the lifeguard house bathroom tells you "Its started by aliens"

Hollander
09-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Well If you havn't gotten past Act 3 dont read this.

But if you have, I think in Act 3 they might have explained how the infection started but I didnt catch it. Something with the natives eating each others brains. Did anyone catch this or is it still a mystery.

Nope, not how everything happened.
I know what you're talking about. It's what the lady you save said about the chieftain.
The chieftain told the villagers to eat the infected's brains, making him one of "the bad guys" in the end.

That's just what he thinks, not the truth.

LastTourniquet
09-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I could'a sworn the natives where eating there brains to try to 'Live forever'.

I think the infection started from the people in the lab working on something. I mean.. why else have a lab in the middle of a already hostile jungle?
Think about it.

Yig
09-13-2011, 01:10 PM
They were eating zombie brains because they saw their people dieing and raising as zombies so they figured they were immortal. They wanted to gain immortality as well. They were manually infecting themselves.

Im certain that it was a failed experiment in that lab. The Jamaican dude said that the lab is where the walking dead came from. He said they do forbidden things there.

They probably tested it out on the natives which is why the chick from the story fled to the city to live out of fear. The first to contract it was them but they had a strong immunity to it due to the harshness of their society and the jungle. It further spread into this crazy **** you see in the game.

The first strand was weak and slowly developed in the natives and whatever caused this new one which develops within hours could of been the lab pushing their tests further.

My guess is the natives simply passed it off to people with less of an immunity which let it also spread to the city as well as the rest of Banoi. With the virus spreading it got stronger and developed into what you see now.

Cameryx
10-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Well done sir

Klachilies01
10-16-2011, 02:17 AM
I thought it was started by the guy who escapes with you on the chopper at the end. He's got a beard so he's obviously the bad guy.

Brent87st
10-17-2011, 09:36 AM
The guy in the lifeguard house bathroom tells you "Its started by alienshttp://www.cuinsurance.org/mating1.jpg
http://www.cuinsurance.org/mating2.jpg
http://www.cuinsurance.org/mating3.jpg

Davhn
10-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Bad travellers checks?

drewygold31
01-17-2012, 02:32 PM
You do a quest for doctor West who says its a mutated strain of Kuru. Kuru is a neurological disease endemic to the Papua New Guinea region. It is widely passed among the local tribes and is believed to be the cause of the zombie outbreak. Doctor West needs a non-mutated strain of this disease to work on a cure. Doctor West also believes that people with O Negative blood are unsusceptible to the infection (which your character has and is why they are immune). Cannibalism is the main method of transmission for the real Kuru virus and that is how this mutated version is the pathogen in the game.

Extinction555
01-17-2012, 06:47 PM

"I heard this scourge came from outta space....came down on a goddamn meteor"
Lol hate that saying...but nah that's just his dumb butt opinion =P the scientists had something to do with it, and where did the natives get the infection if what Yig says is true?

X-III
02-16-2012, 11:07 PM
I thought it was started by the guy who escapes with you on the chopper at the end. He's got a beard so he's obviously the bad guy.

I think it was a mix of this and the lab, the prison was a prison for and full of terrorist.
If you notice the guy who fly's the helicopter is in an orange jump suit which means he is one. I think it was an elaborate plan set up by him. He payed the lab to make a Bio weapon then played the part of the lackey to a terrorist prison gang while he watch his weapon rip through the island on an "accidental" test run.
And the natives are just being natives and thinking that it was a gift of immortality from their god or something.

That or I could be thinking too much into it...;)

hunterxkx
02-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Charon was telling the scientists to make a virus for him to take with him on the chopper. Ryder thought it was the vacciene, but it just increased the virus. So the scientists+Charon=Zombies. Or...... IT WAS CHAMPAGNE!

MrCostari
02-17-2012, 02:59 AM
Someone explained this to me.
Let me find it.

EDIT:

The virus origanlly must have came from Kuru, a type of prion that comes from the protein from our brains(gross.), So tribes that practice Cannabilism got this prion when they ate the brains of their victims, and sometimes the symptoms took years to show up, or it wouln't show up at all, but Kuru caused the person to slow lose their ability to walk straight, and in severe cases to become crazy. So in dead island they based the virus off of kuru but, more mutated and severe. So Ope's tribe ate brains of other people and contrated the virus, but then the virus became more mutated thanks to the scientists wanting to research more on Kuru, and created the zombies. Does it make sense now?

Here you are :)
Seems correct, right?

ReznovKilledYOU
02-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Go beat the Ryder White Campaign then you'll know for sure xD

MrCostari
02-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Go beat the Ryder White Campaign then you'll know for sure xD

Or just watch a playthrough :) Free ;)

ReznovKilledYOU
02-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Or just watch a playthrough :) Free ;)

That's no fun though :(, You need the SATISFACTION of blowing up zombie heads.

sartex
02-28-2012, 05:23 PM
That's no fun though :(, You need the SATISFACTION of blowing up zombie heads.

Ryde White campaign is hard and you can't play multiplayer, so the satisfaction of killing zombies is boring when they just run at u every second and u kill them all alone... i hate singleplayer.

ReznovKilledYOU
02-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Ryde White campaign is hard and you can't play multiplayer, so the satisfaction of killing zombies is boring when they just run at u every second and u kill them all alone... i hate singleplayer.

I enjoy it :3

CowardlyDawg
03-03-2012, 03:35 PM
If it all started at the lab wouldn't all the sicentists be dead? And what about the expirment on whoever they used, i thought scientists were smart so they would have thought to contain it... Ah well i don't know.

TMILLZ21
03-03-2012, 05:07 PM
The natives heard their first justin bieber song and their minds melted reducing them to their primal functions and instincts

MrCostari
03-03-2012, 05:11 PM
The natives heard their first justin bieber song and their minds melted reducing them to their primal functions and instincts
This is ridicolous. Why all the hate on JB?

TMILLZ21
03-03-2012, 07:26 PM
This is ridicolous. Why all the hate on JB?

Haha no hate on JB...merely a social commentary on the similarities of hordes of zombies and hordes of teenage girls at a JB concert

NeroTheHero
03-04-2012, 08:10 PM
I dident get to hear or see the cutscenes because every person in my party kept skiping everything until i dident even know what i was doing so i just made another one with sam b.

barankorkmaz
03-10-2012, 03:03 PM
I read all written answers to this thread and most of the answers partially true since we don't know the real answer. But i finished the game recently and i read all of the heralds and recordings. At least most of all.

Cause of infection is the kuru disease seen in the papua new guinea. You know the tribe right? and there is a lab. Scientists in there tells us they are developing cosmetics but we all know that is not true. They are researching this kuru disease that tribe has and trying to cure it. Most probably they capture one or more of the tribe members who has the disease and experimented on them. Escaping of one of the experimental subjects cause this. He or she came to the resort and started it. But i think that girl in the tomb ( i cant remember her name) is our patient zero. remember the tribe chief tried to kill her and said evil for her even if she is his doughter. Some people said cause of the infection is the prisoner in the end of the story because of his grin :D but i think not. I think chiefs girl is the key but even she doesnt know. If you noticed camera zoomed her at the end.

OMGITSJASON
03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
It started with the natives of Banoi.

Dudeacus97
03-16-2012, 07:30 PM
It started with the natives that had a stronger strand of Kuru, a disease native to a tribe of cannibals in Papua New Guinea.

Just so you can't sleep tonight, Kuru is real.

OMGITSJASON
03-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Naturally on a island.

GOD_wears_GUCCI
03-21-2012, 09:23 PM
I had unprotected sex with mother earth....
Shoulda known she was a slut with that loincloth on!

Jaylolman
03-24-2012, 06:20 PM
I thought it was started when i first played the game by Ryder White but it was caused by the natives in the jungel eating brains from the undead

Xuvin
03-29-2012, 01:51 AM
Kevin... hes everywhere when he needs to be. With a plan and always with more knowledge than he should have. Hes defiantly the hacker and obviously the terrorist who has plans. .... Remember how the chief had a debt and sold his daughter to a rich guy. There you go... She is the key. Just think about it and replay the game... your mind will be blown.

There with the ELECTRONICS to open the door for us.
Knows ryders plans
Shows up after we get gased and knows we had somthing ryder wanted.
How does he know all of this? he should be just as lost as the prisoners.

Kevin aka our hacker is the master mind behind it all gents.

rrobb911
03-29-2012, 09:53 AM
I should pay more attention to the story this playthough. I just realized I have no idea of the story after 2 characters.

Decimator17
05-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I have some info how it started [SPOILER] If you watch the ryder white ending, the doctor says it started from the tribe girl you rescuded in the catacombs

Decimator17
05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
The girl is the cause of the infection and you are right kevin is charon.

sartex
05-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Time to troll: what is an infection?

Spoiler:

Infection is a mutation of small pox that the girl is infected with and Charon plans to control the world by bringing her to main land and kill everyone.

slade101
07-28-2012, 11:56 AM
actually if you play as ryder white you learn that yerema was the cause of the infection do not know how but it said it

DragonRider54321
07-28-2012, 12:15 PM
If you play the Rider White you will find out a lot of things

ryan_henshaw
03-22-2013, 09:19 PM
I thought it was started by the guy who escapes with you on the chopper at the end. He's got a beard so he's obviously the bad guy. If you play the ryder whites dlc then you will find out that its not ryder talking to you on the speakers, its the bad guy with a beard, kevin. Also the "vaccine" is acatually a super virus that the guy at the lab made with yerema's blood and not from the mummy. And apparently yerema is also a ticking time bomb so that's why kevin said to trust him.

Jim di Griz
03-23-2013, 10:40 AM
If you play the ryder whites dlc then you will find out that its not ryder talking to you on the speakers, its the bad guy with a beard, kevin. Also the "vaccine" is acatually a super virus that the guy at the lab made with yerema's blood and not from the mummy. And apparently yerema is also a ticking time bomb so that's why kevin said to trust him.
Isn't that what he said? Like Sartex says, Charon caused the virus to be made, commissioning the scientists to make it. Anyway, the devs have promised more clarity about the origin in DI:R.

TheVooDude
03-23-2013, 11:17 AM
slade she went into the city to learn how to read and become "civilized" so she spread the disease around.

Edward Richtofen
04-08-2013, 08:11 PM
The zombie virus was originally spread because of one person. Yerema. Ope the awsome native was about to kill her and stop the outbreak but of course Purna the idiot killed him and then took her along with the other survivors to the prison and off the island. Had Ryder killed Yerema I would be happy. But instead Yerema who had a very potent form of the disease was let off the island.:mad:

sartex
04-20-2013, 03:10 PM
No no no. You're all wrong! I STARTED IT!!! >_<

Well actually...
Yerema didnt start it on purpose. Her tribe and her were forced to eat dead corpses. All of them had the virus.

Also, the other theories you here in the game are:
1. The aliens
2. The native tribes
3. Scientists making experiments
4. A mutated virus that got out of control
And another one which I forget.

Edward Richtofen
04-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Still ope made the tribe eat the zombie flesh and that infected most of them. Yerema carried a advanced form of the disease and Doctor West accidentally let out a few zombies.

sartex
04-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Still ope made the tribe eat the zombie flesh and that infected most of them. Yerema carried a advanced form of the disease and Doctor West accidentally let out a few zombies.

Well...
Yerema is in fact the cause of it. In the Riptide Prologue, when they escape they go to a Naval Ship and they get "arrested", Yerema tried to escape by biting one of the soldiers to release her. 2 minutes in the prologue you hear teh Intercom yell, "THE SHIP HAS BEEN COMPROMISED" so I am guessing that Yerema just infected the ship by biting that one Soldier. :P

GameSports
05-01-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't know

DirrtyBeans
02-23-2014, 08:23 PM
The disease starts by itself as a mutated strain of kuru (which is a real disease and some of the games backstory relates to real life). There are people who hear if the disease spreading and plan to weaponize it. Thy enlist the help of Charon (Kevin) and dr west to try and weaponize it. Dr west tries to make a cure for it so the weaponized virus can be contained. Kevin hacks the lab and releases the zombies in attempt to prevent the cure so the virus destroys humanity.