PDA

View Full Version : Sharp vs. blunt weapons?

HellsSith
11-24-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm playing as Sam B. right now, and I've noticed that the sharp weapons I'm encountering deal quite a bit more damage than the blunt weapons, even at similar experience levels. Now I'm kinda wishing I didn't sink all those character upgrades into blunt weapon skills...

SamB23
11-24-2012, 10:43 AM
yes sharp weapons are better at earlier weapons because they can decapitate body parts, But in later levels it is much harder to do that, because there only a few good sharp weapons. Blunt weapons will knock down several zombies at a time with a lot of damage later on. Escpecially with SamB.
Sources: Beat the Game eight times
Also SamB is the best character, then xian, then purna, then the worst... Logan, just terrible lol

abig84
11-24-2012, 12:33 PM
your mods on the weapons also effect which character you use. so if you modified a blunt weapon, that mod will work more for samb then if you modified a sword. the two strongest weapons in the game that i have found have both been swords, im a xian man myself just for that reason. once you hit level 60 with a deathstalker zeds demise its basically a one hit kill on any zombie.

if you like the sharp objects use xian, she has no where near the defense as samb or the health regeneration but you can get a perk that adds %75 healing to any med kit or drink and her stamina is awesome. you can swing the sword like 20 times before she gets tired i never find myself out of breath unless i just ran for a long while and tried to fight off a horde

SamB23
11-24-2012, 12:36 PM
agree, but with the metal kanabo or garbriels slegedhammer with that one mod (i think it is telsa or something) Your just unstoppable, so much stamina, You can run a marathon with samB level 60

Wene
11-24-2012, 01:20 PM
agree, but with the metal kanabo or garbriels slegedhammer with that one mod (i think it is telsa or something) Your just unstoppable, so much stamina, You can run a marathon with samB level 60

true, I outran an infected that was on top of me at lvl 50 with sam b, once you get all the skills for blunt weapons with sam b tho he's virtually unstoppable with em, ntm all the maintenance skills he has they rarely break either

sartex
11-24-2012, 01:36 PM
The best sharp weapon: Eviscerator with the Deathstalker Mod blueprint.
The best blunt weapon: Blunt Speaker with the Ripper Mod blueprint.
The best explosive: The Explosive Meat grenade.
The best firearm: Burst Rifle with the Shock Mod blueprint.

Reasons:
Swords are very good with poison mods and they actually are the best mods out there.
The blunt speaker is one of the best blunt weapons and the ripper mod makes it even better. It adds a saw to it. Kind of like a blunt and sharp weapon.
The explosive meat, attracts zombies and blows them up but it cant blow teammates. No one on your team will get hurt but you will be able to kill every zombie in site.
The burst rifle is good because it waste very little ammo, has a decent fire rate and great accuracy. If you add a shock mod, you wont kill yourself. The other 2 mods for a gun is a poison mod or a fire mod. Poison mods will kill you and so will fire. They effect zombies even after death, but shock doesnt.

Wene
11-24-2012, 01:41 PM

Reasons:
Swords are very good with poison mods and they actually are the best mods out there.
The blunt speaker is one of the best blunt weapons and the ripper mod makes it even better. It adds a saw to it. Kind of like a blunt and sharp weapon.
The explosive meat, attracts zombies and blows them up but it cant blow teammates. No one on your team will get hurt but you will be able to kill every zombie in site.
The burst rifle is good because it waste very little ammo, has a decent fire rate and great accuracy. If you add a shock mod, you wont kill yourself. The other 2 mods for a gun is a poison mod or a fire mod. Poison mods will kill you and so will fire. They effect zombies even after death, but shock doesnt.

The shredder mod is better for bats, it does pretty much the same as the ripper mod, but doesn't spin the blade, ntm it does x5 bleeding damage and +10% critical I believe.

sartex
11-24-2012, 01:44 PM
The shredder mod is better for bats, it does pretty much the same as the ripper mod, but doesn't spin the blade, ntm it does x5 bleeding damage and +10% critical I believe.

the shredder mod has different 'x' and '+_%' then the ripper... The ripper is better.

SamB23
11-24-2012, 01:45 PM

But the ripper mod is so cool!

Wene
11-24-2012, 01:46 PM
the shredder mod has different 'x' and '+_%' then the ripper... The ripper is better.

the ripper has the same critical and bleeding stats as the nail'd mod, x1 bleeding damage and +3% critical I believe

SamB23
11-24-2012, 01:47 PM
the ripper has the same critical and bleeding stats as the nail'd mod, x1 bleeding damage and +3% critical I believe

I think it just seems better cause it looks better, having a spinning blade on a baseball bat is pretty awesome

Wene
11-24-2012, 01:52 PM

as you can see the stats are different, the only up the ripper has is that it moves, but the shredder is bigger and does make it into a sharp weapon

The pics are underwhelming so just check the web-links down bottom

http://deadislandwiki.com/wiki/Ripper_Mod

http://deadislandwiki.com/wiki/Shredder_Mod

sartex
11-24-2012, 01:53 PM

http://deadisland.wikia.com/wiki/Ripper_Mod

http://deadisland.wikia.com/wiki/Shredder_Mod

The ripper mod is better.

Wene
11-24-2012, 02:01 PM
http://deadisland.wikia.com/wiki/Ripper_Mod

http://deadisland.wikia.com/wiki/Shredder_Mod

The ripper mod is better.

the critical duration and damage increase are debatable tho, I've heard ppl say it's as high as 1000% and as low as 50% on both, the only downside to the shredder is it is only usable on regular bats as opposed to the blunt speaker, bouncer's pal, and homerun. I still prefer the shredder. With my lvl 60 bat I have it on it's a 1 hit kill on walkers and infected, 2 hits on thugs most of the time, and 3-5 on everything else.

Neeko
11-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Blunt weapons are of better use for SamB for added bonuses like crits. Sharp weapons are good for slice and dice.

Wene
11-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Blunt weapons are of better use for SamB for added bonuses like crits. Sharp weapons are good for slice and dice.

with blunt weapons sam b's bonuses are critical, crit. damage, durability, handling, and making it so you can kill a bunch of zombies without having to repair it very often.

Neeko
11-24-2012, 02:11 PM
with blunt weapons sam b's bonuses are critical, crit. damage, durability, handling, and making it so you can kill a bunch of zombies without having to repair it very often.

Exactly and I know I defo made the right decision picking him during my first campaign run.

Wene
11-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Exactly and I know I defo made the right decision picking him during my first campaign run.

Me too, I love the regen, I love his crazy amount of other perks, and he's the most like how I would be, I don't finesse anything...lol

Neeko
11-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Me too, I love the regen, I love his crazy amount of other perks, and he's the most like how I would be, I don't finesse anything...lol

Lol and he seems to be the most interesting person during all the cut scenes. I always have something to laugh about with this guy.

Wene
11-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Lol and he seems to be the most interesting person during all the cut scenes. I always have something to laugh about with this guy.

very true, he's 'that' guy...haha

Neeko
11-24-2012, 02:42 PM
very true, he's 'that' guy...haha

Lol Bawss status!

Wene
11-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Lol Bawss status!

Or just a-hole status.

Neeko
11-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Or just a-hole status.

Well that works too lol

Wene
11-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Well that works too lol

It's more accurate too :)

HellsSith
11-25-2012, 02:08 PM
On the other hand, I'm noticing that blunt weapons are far more durable than sharp weapons and so last much longer in combat...Probably the better part of the tradeoff.

Wene
11-25-2012, 02:26 PM
and if you play with Sam B and use customized blunt weapons their durability nearly doubles...lol

Neeko
11-25-2012, 03:51 PM
On the other hand, I'm noticing that blunt weapons are far more durable than sharp weapons and so last much longer in combat...Probably the better part of the tradeoff.

Yeah although I guess its mainly due to SamB's skill tree. So im guessing Xian has similar movements on her part for sharp weapons.

Wene
11-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah although I guess its mainly due to SamB's skill tree. So im guessing Xian has similar movements on her part for sharp weapons.

she does, but the base durability for blunt weaps is higher than all sharps by a lot, except for machetes, they normally have about 60 durability.

Neeko
11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
she does, but the base durability for blunt weaps is higher than all sharps by a lot, except for machetes, they normally have about 60 durability.

Ahhh, see, this is why you just gotta love SamB and everything that comes with him :D

Wene
11-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Ahhh, see, this is why you just gotta love SamB and everything that comes with him :D

exactly...he's a beast

nightseeker
11-30-2012, 10:14 AM

Reasons:

Personally, after playing the game with Xian and Purna (both level 60's) I'd have to disagree about the Eviscerator being the best sharp weapon. I've been searching with my friends for the best Zed's Demise and best Eviscerator we could possibly get for quite some time now. A lot of my friends also use either Xian or Purina for their main level 60 characters. This was always a great debate amongst us when we first got one of our best Eviscerators back then: the Eviscerator's usually higher base damage & ever so slightly faster swinging speed but shorter length vs the Zed's Demise ever so slightly weaker base damage & slightly slower swinging speed but much longer reach.

Before people jump in and start to bash me about the Zed's being so much more weaker in base damage when compared to a typical Eviscerator, keep in mind I've been searching for the best possible versions of each with the help of a bunch of friends. So far my best Eviscerator has 2483 damage, 890 force, 70 handling, and 64 durability. The best Zed's Demise I have has 2472 damage, 890 force, 49 handling, and 64 durability. All of these stats for both weapons are base stats, the + bonus stats are left out as they are irrelevant since they would differ when used by other characters. My point is that though the Eviscerator has slightly better damage (11 to be precise), they still both have the same force and durability. The handling stats might seem like a huge difference statictically, but try swinging both for awhile and you'll notice the Zed's isn't much slower at all (though it should be due to the major stat difference in handling). What we have noticed though is that you do run faster significantly carrying the Eviscerator vs the Zed's lol, but most people would just switch to fist when running for actual speed.

Here's where the Zed's extra length starts to outweigh the Eviscerator's faster "handling speed". When using an Eviscerstor to take down mobs of walkers or even worse, infected you'll probably notice how short the weapon actually is due to how many more times you're gonna get hit cause you're going to be using more medkits due to having to be closer to the enemy to attack. The reach of the Eviscerator is pretty much the same as a machete's reach. However, with the Zed's you can step backward and slash and use the tip of the blade as much as possible and infected would rarely get in actual attack range of you due to the longer reach of the katana/Zed's. If playing as Xian you can even jump backwards and use the jumping stab as well, not to mention the awesome extra reach when using the jumping stab in general. Also Xian's spectre skill usually kicks in pretty often so that extra length helps a lot as the zombies run past, somehow side attacks or at least if you swing it in the right direction as the zombies run past, seems to count as an attack from behind causing much more extra damage. The same is possible with the Eviscerator but its much harder to pull off while keeping at a safer distance due to its shorter blade, you're going to find yourself using more medkits.
Also, although it might be irrelevant but it seems like my friends and I have better chances cutting limbs or decapitating zombies with the Zed's even though is the same amount of force stat wise. We just chalked it up to it being wielded with two hands whereas the Eviscerator is one handed. Even though what I just said about jumping stabs and back attacks only apply to Xian, my friends who play Purna also prefer our best Zed's over our best Eviscerator as well due to the extra length. I say "ours" because we all worked together to find the Eviscerators and would all get on our level 60's and do a Prison run in hopes of getting a better Zed's. If we ever found a better one we would copy it for everyone else. Safe to say, that search for the best of each of those swords was a huge group effort and we all reached the same consensus after finding what we've seen thus far to be the best/highest representation of each of those swords.

When it comes to mods on an Eviscerator or a Zed's, Sartex is right on the money. Deathstalker is the way to go. Only time I find myself using a short circuit Zed's is maybe in the sewer, due to all the floaters and poison zombies, more the floaters really as they don't seem to get poisoned whereas the poison zombies die in one hit anyway even with a deathstalker mod on it. I wouldn't use a short circuit Eviscerstor though due to a very high chance of shocking yourself because of its short reach (a short circuit Zed's is more manageable in avoiding self shock if you use tip/extra length as much as possible). Still, honestly I think I just use the short circuit Zed's in the sewers just to switch up weapons every now and then. I get far less grief from healing myself or my teammates when I use Deathstalker all the way through the game.

As far as guns go, I've found shock one of the worst gun mods to have a teammate using, as my trigger happy friends who play Purna are constantly shocking me. Poison never kills anyone though, let alone hurts us unless we stand still over the corpses. Pride is a pretty useless mod because it just seems to make them fall over rather than actual make them fly backwards other than when on a shotgun but it does have one good point, it can't hurt your teammates lol. Fire is a decent mod too, its great for getting rid of those poison zombies in 1 shot but falls under the same category as the shock mod as it causes damage to yourself or teammates. So as far as gun mods go, it really depends on what chapter you're playing on if on co-op and whether you're playing solo or with other players. Arena gun mod choices might be different but like I said shock and fire would hurt yourself and teammates though those two kick arse in arena.

The ripper mod and the shredder mod only cause bleeding affects. I have weapons with both mods and have tried many times while fooling around to cut a limb or decap a head but it never does. When the crit goes off both act exactly like a blunt weapon, breaking bones but also causing a bleeding effect. I've never seen either mod, shredder nor ripper cut. Break and cause bleeding, definitely though.

Anyway sorry about the long post but I ran across the thread and couldn't sit back in silence, after all the testing my friends and I have do comparing the Eviscerstor and Zed's. Keep in mind, generally its easier to find a stronger Eviscerator than a Zed's but eventually if you search hard enough for the best of each you'll find the damage very similar. The real difference is the reach and the running speed. The attack speed is sadly very close, though it shouldn't be since the handling stats are so drastically different. I always carry both swords, but stopped equipping the Eviscerator due to its lack of length. I still use it occasionally but find the Zed's reach just outweighs the extra running speed I get with the Eviscerator. Besides, if I run with a weapon its probably going to be a mindblowing or a homerun baseball bat just for those hairy situations you're actually forced to stop and deal with a crowd.

sartex
11-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Personally, after playing the game with Xian and Purna (both level 60's) I'd have to disagree about the Eviscerator being the best sharp weapon. I've been searching with my friends for the best Zed's Demise and best Eviscerator we could possibly get for quite some time now. A lot of my friends also use either Xian or Purina for their main level 60 characters. This was always a great debate amongst us when we first got one of our best Eviscerators back then: the Eviscerator's usually higher base damage & ever so slightly faster swinging speed but shorter length vs the Zed's Demise ever so slightly weaker base damage & slightly slower swinging speed but much longer reach.

Before people jump in and start to bash me about the Zed's being so much more weaker in base damage when compared to a typical Eviscerator, keep in mind I've been searching for the best possible versions of each with the help of a bunch of friends. So far my best Eviscerator has 2483 damage, 890 force, 70 handling, and 64 durability. The best Zed's Demise I have has 2472 damage, 890 force, 49 handling, and 64 durability. All of these stats for both weapons are base stats, the + bonus stats are left out as they are irrelevant since they would differ when used by other characters. My point is that though the Eviscerator has slightly better damage (11 to be precise), they still both have the same force and durability. The handling stats might seem like a huge difference statictically, but try swinging both for awhile and you'll notice the Zed's isn't much slower at all (though it should be due to the major stat difference in handling). What we have noticed though is that you do run faster significantly carrying the Eviscerator vs the Zed's lol, but most people would just switch to fist when running for actual speed.

Here's where the Zed's extra length starts to outweigh the Eviscerator's faster "handling speed". When using an Eviscerstor to take down mobs of walkers or even worse, infected you'll probably notice how short the weapon actually is due to how many more times you're gonna get hit cause you're going to be using more medkits due to having to be closer to the enemy to attack. The reach of the Eviscerator is pretty much the same as a machete's reach. However, with the Zed's you can step backward and slash and use the tip of the blade as much as possible and infected would rarely get in actual attack range of you due to the longer reach of the katana/Zed's. If playing as Xian you can even jump backwards and use the jumping stab as well, not to mention the awesome extra reach when using the jumping stab in general. Also Xian's spectre skill usually kicks in pretty often so that extra length helps a lot as the zombies run past, somehow side attacks or at least if you swing it in the right direction as the zombies run past, seems to count as an attack from behind causing much more extra damage. The same is possible with the Eviscerator but its much harder to pull off while keeping at a safer distance due to its shorter blade, you're going to find yourself using more medkits.
Also, although it might be irrelevant but it seems like my friends and I have better chances cutting limbs or decapitating zombies with the Zed's even though is the same amount of force stat wise. We just chalked it up to it being wielded with two hands whereas the Eviscerator is one handed. Even though what I just said about jumping stabs and back attacks only apply to Xian, my friends who play Purna also prefer our best Zed's over our best Eviscerator as well due to the extra length. I say "ours" because we all worked together to find the Eviscerators and would all get on our level 60's and do a Prison run in hopes of getting a better Zed's. If we ever found a better one we would copy it for everyone else. Safe to say, that search for the best of each of those swords was a huge group effort and we all reached the same consensus after finding what we've seen thus far to be the best/highest representation of each of those swords.

When it comes to mods on an Eviscerator or a Zed's, Sartex is right on the money. Deathstalker is the way to go. Only time I find myself using a short circuit Zed's is maybe in the sewer, due to all the floaters and poison zombies, more the floaters really as they don't seem to get poisoned whereas the poison zombies die in one hit anyway even with a deathstalker mod on it. I wouldn't use a short circuit Eviscerstor though due to a very high chance of shocking yourself because of its short reach (a short circuit Zed's is more manageable in avoiding self shock if you use tip/extra length as much as possible). Still, honestly I think I just use the short circuit Zed's in the sewers just to switch up weapons every now and then. I get far less grief from healing myself or my teammates when I use Deathstalker all the way through the game.

As far as guns go, I've found shock one of the worst gun mods to have a teammate using, as my trigger happy friends who play Purna are constantly shocking me. Poison never kills anyone though, let alone hurts us unless we stand still over the corpses. Pride is a pretty useless mod because it just seems to make them fall over rather than actual make them fly backwards other than when on a shotgun but it does have one good point, it can't hurt your teammates lol. Fire is a decent mod too, its great for getting rid of those poison zombies in 1 shot but falls under the same category as the shock mod as it causes damage to yourself or teammates. So as far as gun mods go, it really depends on what chapter you're playing on if on co-op and whether you're playing solo or with other players. Arena gun mod choices might be different but like I said shock and fire would hurt yourself and teammates though those two kick arse in arena.

The ripper mod and the shredder mod only cause bleeding affects. I have weapons with both mods and have tried many times while fooling around to cut a limb or decap a head but it never does. When the crit goes off both act exactly like a blunt weapon, breaking bones but also causing a bleeding effect. I've never seen either mod, shredder nor ripper cut. Break and cause bleeding, definitely though.

Anyway sorry about the long post but I ran across the thread and couldn't sit back in silence, after all the testing my friends and I have do comparing the Eviscerstor and Zed's. Keep in mind, generally its easier to find a stronger Eviscerator than a Zed's but eventually if you search hard enough for the best of each you'll find the damage very similar. The real difference is the reach and the running speed. The attack speed is sadly very close, though it shouldn't be since the handling stats are so drastically different. I always carry both swords, but stopped equipping the Eviscerator due to its lack of length. I still use it occasionally but find the Zed's reach just outweighs the extra running speed I get with the Eviscerator. Besides, if I run with a weapon its probably going to be a mindblowing or a homerun baseball bat just for those hairy situations you're actually forced to stop and deal with a crowd.

The handling is acually how good you can handle it so it doesnt waste your stamina.
If a weapon had 70 handling, you could use it mire then a weapon with 49 handling without running out of stamina.

The pride mod is explosive...
Also, the ripper mod cuts ppl. Its my favourite mod. I use my ripper modded items all the time. They always cut limbs.

nightseeker
12-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Efinitrly N
The handling is acually how good you can handle it so it doesnt waste your stamina.
If a weapon had 70 handling, you could use it mire then a weapon with 49 handling without running out of stamina.

The pride mod is explosive...
Also, the ripper mod cuts ppl. Its my favourite mod. I use my ripper modded items all the time. They always cut limbs.

What's up Sartex,

Yes, I am well aware that handling determines the effect on a weapons' swinging speed, the speed a character can run with that weapon, and of course how much stamina it drains per swing. I assumed heads who have known that part, but that was my fault for leaving that part out. What I was saying about the handling was more related to the actual swinging speed of the weapon, being that its a one handed version of a Zed's, I'm sure many others like myself would expect it to swing much faster when compared to the Zed's but sadly its not a world of a difference. However, there is barely any difference between them in that speed aspect.

As far as stamina consumption goes, there is a somewhat noticeable difference between them but at a heavy trade off, not to mention the difference of stamina used isn't enough to make or break a character. When I got my first Eviscerator I recall being blown away by the damage (which later on in the game, the damage gap between the two will be much less if you hunt good versions of each at level 60) and handling differences, at least stat wise, between the two swords. I stuck to using the Eviscerator all the time bit began to notice something. With all the extra handling stats on the Eviscerator, I expected to be mowing down crowds constantly with the Eviscerator and killing multiple zombies with each hit. That's where I was wrong or chose the wrong tool for the job. I had to get that much closer to crowds and got hit many more times as a result and often had to back up and spam heal between swings, especially with swarms of infected. I also didn't realize the overall effect the actual length of the weapon had on the overall attack radius till I really used the Eviscerator constantly. That little extra bit of range had a huge major impact on not just how far I could cut an enemy down in directly in front of me but also affected the peripheral area of the swing ad well. I found throwing myself into a crowd with the Eviscerator was often a risky situation due to the overall swing radius being shortened drastically per swing, especially the backhanded/second swing. The overall stamina I expected to save my arse didn't quite do the job due to getting hit and losing stamina and just the fact that the differences really weren't all that extreme actual usage wise. Statically, the Eviscerator should be king but its "almost" like the developers lied on the stats for the two swords. When I used the Zed's in a huge crowd I found the actual attack radius to be so much more effective, I was getting kills from the side where I practically forgot the Zed's could even reach due to getting so used to the Eviscerator.
More so, I found that turning my screen while swinging the Zed's in a huge mob allowed for even more angles to be covered in both the regular and backhanded swing. As far as stamina consumption with the Zed's I found myself coming out of mobs with more health/less or no medkit spamming, and of course more stamina due to not getting hit as often and just swinging the weapon that many less times due to its more effective cutting edge/length, which also affected the entire swinging area and length from a player's entire screen from left to right or vice versa.

All in all, I'd have to say that each tool serves a purpose. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I had to pick a sword to run through scattered walkers with it would be the Eviscerator. If I had to stand my ground and deal with a huge mob of walkers and infected I would definitely switch to my Zed's and try to make the most of that extra reach as it covers so much more of the area in front and to the side of the player. Now with that said, I used to have both equipped at all times but I stopped equipping the Eviscerator due to the fact that whatever the Eviscerator can do the Zed's can do, but not vice versa. Sure I run slower with it equipped, and if I swing constantly I might run out of stamina first with the Zed's but usually everything is dead with either sword before I can even get to the halfway point of the stamina bar, huge crowds included.

As far as Pride mod goes, I've never been damaged by it, nor noticed it being explosive. I always figured it was a pretty useless gun mod other than not wanting to hurt your teammates with a mod effect. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, I'll do some more testing (never used it much cause I always found it to be pretty useless other than knocking the zombies on the ground) but I can't ever recall a time it actually hurt a teammate. The shock mod and striker mod definitely will hurt yourself or teammates though.

For the ripper mod, I remember fooling around with it but never actually getting any cut limbs with it, guess I'll mess around with it and try it again. It would make sense that the mod does cut though, due to the fact it could only be gained by getting the game of the year edition or pre-ordering Dead Island when it first came out, so that makes it "special" when compared to other blueprints/mods. I just haven't seen it happen yet.

sartex
12-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Efinitrly N

What's up Sartex,

Yes, I am well aware that handling determines the effect on a weapons' swinging speed, the speed a character can run with that weapon, and of course how much stamina it drains per swing. I assumed heads who have known that part, but that was my fault for leaving that part out. What I was saying about the handling was more related to the actual swinging speed of the weapon, being that its a one handed version of a Zed's, I'm sure many others like myself would expect it to swing much faster when compared to the Zed's but sadly its not a world of a difference. However, there is barely any difference between them in that speed aspect.

As far as stamina consumption goes, there is a somewhat noticeable difference between them but at a heavy trade off, not to mention the difference of stamina used isn't enough to make or break a character. When I got my first Eviscerator I recall being blown away by the damage (which later on in the game, the damage gap between the two will be much less if you hunt good versions of each at level 60) and handling differences, at least stat wise, between the two swords. I stuck to using the Eviscerator all the time bit began to notice something. With all the extra handling stats on the Eviscerator, I expected to be mowing down crowds constantly with the Eviscerator and killing multiple zombies with each hit. That's where I was wrong or chose the wrong tool for the job. I had to get that much closer to crowds and got hit many more times as a result and often had to back up and spam heal between swings, especially with swarms of infected. I also didn't realize the overall effect the actual length of the weapon had on the overall attack radius till I really used the Eviscerator constantly. That little extra bit of range had a huge major impact on not just how far I could cut an enemy down in directly in front of me but also affected the peripheral area of the swing ad well. I found throwing myself into a crowd with the Eviscerator was often a risky situation due to the overall swing radius being shortened drastically per swing, especially the backhanded/second swing. The overall stamina I expected to save my arse didn't quite do the job due to getting hit and losing stamina and just the fact that the differences really weren't all that extreme actual usage wise. Statically, the Eviscerator should be king but its "almost" like the developers lied on the stats for the two swords. When I used the Zed's in a huge crowd I found the actual attack radius to be so much more effective, I was getting kills from the side where I practically forgot the Zed's could even reach due to getting so used to the Eviscerator.
More so, I found that turning my screen while swinging the Zed's in a huge mob allowed for even more angles to be covered in both the regular and backhanded swing. As far as stamina consumption with the Zed's I found myself coming out of mobs with more health/less or no medkit spamming, and of course more stamina due to not getting hit as often and just swinging the weapon that many less times due to its more effective cutting edge/length, which also affected the entire swinging area and length from a player's entire screen from left to right or vice versa.

All in all, I'd have to say that each tool serves a purpose. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I had to pick a sword to run through scattered walkers with it would be the Eviscerator. If I had to stand my ground and deal with a huge mob of walkers and infected I would definitely switch to my Zed's and try to make the most of that extra reach as it covers so much more of the area in front and to the side of the player. Now with that said, I used to have both equipped at all times but I stopped equipping the Eviscerator due to the fact that whatever the Eviscerator can do the Zed's can do, but not vice versa. Sure I run slower with it equipped, and if I swing constantly I might run out of stamina first with the Zed's but usually everything is dead with either sword before I can even get to the halfway point of the stamina bar, huge crowds included.

As far as Pride mod goes, I've never been damaged by it, nor noticed it being explosive. I always figured it was a pretty useless gun mod other than not wanting to hurt your teammates with a mod effect. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, I'll do some more testing (never used it much cause I always found it to be pretty useless other than knocking the zombies on the ground) but I can't ever recall a time it actually hurt a teammate. The shock mod and striker mod definitely will hurt yourself or teammates though.

For the ripper mod, I remember fooling around with it but never actually getting any cut limbs with it, guess I'll mess around with it and try it again. It would make sense that the mod does cut though, due to the fact it could only be gained by getting the game of the year edition or pre-ordering Dead Island when it first came out, so that makes it "special" when compared to other blueprints/mods. I just haven't seen it happen yet.

Ugh... I just woke up so I am going to skip to the bottom of that....

Anyways, the pride mod does deal electrical elemental damage but when it gets a critical, the zombie blows up. Idk if it is electrical damage tbh, all i know is that when i shoot it it shows blue damage, indicating its doing elemental damage. Though, the pride mod id a explosive mod. I never reallly understood it much. If you use the Pride Mod, you will understand what I mean.

As for the ripper mod... I got this game a year ago. The ripper mod was my fav mod. I used it on my blunt speaker. I remember cutting more limbs then breaking limbs. Id suggest trying it again.

Oh btw, I logged on my D.I, my best Eviscerator had +150 damage, +67 force, +0 durability, +11 handling.

nightseeker
12-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Ugh... I just woke up so I am going to skip to the bottom of that....

Anyways, the pride mod does deal electrical elemental damage but when it gets a critical, the zombie blows up. Idk if it is electrical damage tbh, all i know is that when i shoot it it shows blue damage, indicating its doing elemental damage. Though, the pride mod id a explosive mod. I never reallly understood it much. If you use the Pride Mod, you will understand what I mean.

As for the ripper mod... I got this game a year ago. The ripper mod was my fav mod. I used it on my blunt speaker. I remember cutting more limbs then breaking limbs. Id suggest trying it again.

Oh btw, I logged on my D.I, my best Eviscerator had +150 damage, +67 force, +0 durability, +11 handling.

I've used pride mod plenty in the beginning when I first got this game and recently with the unlimited ammo gun. Pride mod never did any damage to anyone else, seems to just knock the zombies over, actually pretty useless of a mod but good one for trigger happy Purna teammates to use so they don't hurt their team. Does add a slight pushback effect sometimes though, like an impact type mod if, but only if you put it on a shotgun though. As far as fun mods go, that one doesn't do any team or self damage. Poison would be the next least harmful to self or teammates.

As far as your best Eviscerator, what are the actual stats on it? You can't simply compare it to your current Zed's and assume all other Eviscerators are that much higher as well, or all other Zed's that much weaker. I've been searching around for awhile and the reason why I say both swords are nearly identical in damage is my Eviscerator does 2483 damage, 890 force, 70 handling and 64 durability. My best Zed's does 2472 damage, same force, same durability, and handling is at 49. Maybe you have a really high damage Eviscerator or a really low Zed's. It took me awhile to find them with that kind of damage but still holding 890 force and 64 durability. And like I said, I've been searching for a real long time, havent met anyone yet (but still looking) who's had a higher one than that one, damage wise, while still having the max stats for the durability, handling and force stats.

sartex
12-01-2012, 11:08 AM
I've used pride mod plenty in the beginning when I first got this game and recently with the unlimited ammo gun. Pride mod never did any damage to anyone else, seems to just knock the zombies over, actually pretty useless of a mod but good one for trigger happy Purna teammates to use so they don't hurt their team. Does add a slight pushback effect sometimes though, like an impact type mod if, but only if you put it on a shotgun though. As far as fun mods go, that one doesn't do any team or self damage. Poison would be the next least harmful to self or teammates.

As far as your best Eviscerator, what are the actual stats on it? You can't simply compare it to your current Zed's and assume all other Eviscerators are that much higher as well, or all other Zed's that much weaker. I've been searching around for awhile and the reason why I say both swords are nearly identical in damage is my Eviscerator does 2483 damage, 890 force, 70 handling and 64 durability. My best Zed's does 2472 damage, same force, same durability, and handling is at 49. Maybe you have a really high damage Eviscerator or a really low Zed's. It took me awhile to find them with that kind of damage but still holding 890 force and 64 durability. And like I said, I've been searching for a real long time, havent met anyone yet (but still looking) who's had a higher one than that one, damage wise, while still having the max stats for the durability, handling and force stats.

My pride gun blows up zombies.

nightseeker
12-01-2012, 11:26 AM
My pride gun blows up zombies.

Guess it works differently for us then. I've never seen a zombie blow up from a pride mod. They just get knocked over. This isn't just on the infinite ammo pride rifle either.

By the way, +60 something extra force on your Eviscerator means your Zed's isn't quite up to par with your Eviscerator. Both can have a max force of 890. I'm also going to assume the damage on the particular Zed's you have is also on the weak side, it does take doing the quest a ton of times till you find an actual worthy Zed's. If you don't mind me asking, what is the exact base damage on your Eviscerator? I'll get a much better understanding on your view point as to why you think its better if I knew its exact base damage. Telling me its +150 damage higher doesn't really shed much light on it. I have some old Zed's demises on my other characters that are also at least 150 damage or more weaker than my best Eviscerator, but that hardly makes for a fair comparison.

sartex
12-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Guess it works differently for us then. I've never seen a zombie blow up from a pride mod. They just get knocked over. This isn't just on the infinite ammo pride rifle either.

By the way, +60 something extra force on your Eviscerator means your Zed's isn't quite up to par with your Eviscerator. Both can have a max force of 890. I'm also going to assume the damage on the particular Zed's you have is also on the weak side, it does take doing the quest a ton of times till you find an actual worthy Zed's. If you don't mind me asking, what is the exact base damage on your Eviscerator? I'll get a much better understanding on your view point as to why you think its better if I knew its exact base damage. Telling me its +150 damage higher doesn't really shed much light on it. I have some old Zed's demises on my other characters that are also at least 150 damage or more weaker than my best Eviscerator, but that hardly makes for a fair comparison.

Reuse the pride gun... You'll see zombies blow up. Try using a pistol because a rifle would just kill them easily.

nightseeker
12-01-2012, 11:40 AM
I've used the pride mod on a bunch of guns, never seems to actually do anything but knock them over like I said. I'll try it again though. How about your Eviscerator's exact base damage whenever you log in next time? +150 isn't telling me anything other than your Zed's is a lower tier one based on it having less force. As for the handling your Eviscerator should be at 70 and Zed's at 49, so difference should be 21 not 11.

nightseeker
12-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Reuse the pride gun... You'll see zombies blow up. Try using a pistol because a rifle would just kill them easily.

Ok, tested both ripper and pride mod again. Ripper mod does cut limbs. Pride mod doesn't make zombies explode though. Even stood next to a few zombies I used the plaguebearer on while my friend shot them with a really low level pride pistol. Didn't take any damage from the pride effect.

Still waiting to hear the actual stats on your Eviscerator, so I can see the basis of why you insist the Eviscerator is king of all swords without even considering the actual length of the Zed's blade and the possibility that a Zed's can come extremely close to an Eviscerator damage wise.

Unless your Eviscerator is that much stronger than the stats for the one I listed previously, I can't just sit back in idle and watch you tell everyone that the Eviscerator is better hands down-no comparison cause that would be misinformation, especially since your Zed's durability nor force isn't on par with your Eviscerator, which it should be, if you're making a fair comparison. Is it possible your particular Eviscerator is good but your Zed's just sucks stat wise? Not trying to debate or anything, just trying to get a true comparison of both swords but you haven't provided your Eviscerator's stats yet.

BR_Asian_Girl
12-03-2012, 08:21 PM
i always use sharp weapons , sold all blunt weapons :p

love using high voltage & venom mod :)

sartex
12-04-2012, 01:32 AM
i always use sharp weapons , sold all blunt weapons :p

love using high voltage & venom mod :)

I use infinite ammo rifles now. I love the vemon mods.
They are the best.

TheVooDude
03-23-2013, 11:49 AM
I prefer sharp weapons

Zombiifleshie
03-30-2013, 05:44 PM
yes sharp weapons are better at earlier weapons because they can decapitate body parts, But in later levels it is much harder to do that, because there only a few good sharp weapons. Blunt weapons will knock down several zombies at a time with a lot of damage later on. Escpecially with SamB.
Sources: Beat the Game eight times
Also SamB is the best character, then xian, then purna, then the worst... Logan, just terrible lol

I don't agree. I finished the game once with samb and twice with purna, and purna to me is the best character u can choose to play with. Samb might be a better choice in the beginning because firearms are rare until in the city, but purna has a side skill for bladed weapons. Character is the best for the lasthalf of the game because if u fully upgrade her combat tree she can carry a ****load of ammo, and sharp weapons are better cos it does alota damage and takes less stamina. Just my opinion...

diabeetus
03-30-2013, 11:32 PM
I like sharp weapons...with the Deathstalker mod added.

Edward Richtofen
04-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Sharp weapons because they can cut off limbs and heads ie. insta-kill. Also it's funny to see a sword sticking out of a zombie.