Results 1 to 10 of 15
- Join Date
- Feb 2012
Your preferred weapons and quick inventory items? Tell me how you equip for WAR.
So, tell me about your weapon preferences! After completing the game with a few characters, I’ve developed some significant weapon biases. Some weapons, I just don’t use. Others, I build fighting techniques around. Here’s a peek at my basic philosophy. I’d like to read your own ideas, and what’s worked for you.
1. Pistols: I tried the revolvers, and although they’re powerful, their slow rate of fire prompts me to sell them off. Some of the enemies we face move around a bit, and if I miss with that critical head-shot, then I must wait until the next bullet chambers. Revolvers have their place, against thugs, floaters, etc, but I’d rather not carry two pistols. I prefer general purpose weaponry. With the semi-auto pistols, I can use one or two rounds to stun lock the target, following up with a single “night-cap” to the brain pan. Also, if charged by a mob of lunatics, a semi auto can buy some valuable escape time. Slowing a mob doesn’t require much accuracy – just plant several rounds into a group, 1-2 per pursuer, then run like hell. Works like a charm. As a matter of principle, I shoot toward the head when rapid firing, and if I get a lucky kill, then that’s just a big fat bonus.
2. Rifles: I prefer the single shot rifles, where one click sends a single round down range. The faster I click, the faster I shoot. The auto guns waste bullets, and I’m not impressed with their accuracy. Auto guns are useful for two things: Crowd control, and unloading into the backs of rams. Again, versatility and conservation for the win. I’ll stick with the single shot rifles.
3. Explosives: The humble Molotov is king – permit me to explain my reasoning:
* They’re cheap. After acquiring the recipe, they require only two alcohol to produce. Booze is easy to find.
* They provide area denial. Throw one in the path of your enemies, and they’ll take damage coming to you. They’re good for covering a hasty retreat.
* Accuracy is not necessary. Sure, I’ve set myself on fire with the things, as throwing over/around/through obstacles is still a bit wonky, but they work quire well in the general area of the target.
* Human enemies like to use cover, and cocktails deal with that problem handily.
Deo-bombs are great – they make stinky zombies smell better too! Despite doing tons of damage, one must be precise when throwing them. Also, I don’t know if this is actually happening, but I think human opponents try to move out of the blast radius when they see one. I could be wrong. The delay before explosion annoys me.
Incendiary grenades: They’re great, much better than Molotov cocktails, but at five bleach, they’re expensive. Too bad we can’t find a recipe for those.
Frag grenades: Good damage, tough to find. They require precise targeting, and your opponents to stay put.
Bleed Bombs: An inferior variant of the Molotov, doing bleed damage, but without the benefit of area denial. One pop, and they’re gone. They require precise placement, and only do 300 damage if I recall correctly.
4. Sharp Weapons: The Japanese swords are great. Their ease of handling, and high damage, are only marginally offset by their low durability.
Unfortunately, we don’t see too many of them. What then, must we do? We resort to machetes, that’s what we do. Machetes provide decent handling, and better durability than the swords. We see machetes all over the place.
5. Blunt weapons: The baseball bat wins, hands down. Ease of handling, high damage, and lots of amusing mods. I love the things. They’re my blunt weapon of preference.
6. Sharp Mods: I consider two elements, availability of the components, and special effects. I see two workhorse mods in Dead Island – Short Circuit, and Old Smokey. I keep turning to these mods again and again. One produces electrical damage, and the other fire.
I prefer electrical damage over fire, because dancing zombies make me laugh – I always stop and watch. In one respect, however, fire damage may be preferable over electrical; Flame damaged zombies look quite different from a distance – you know if they’re damaged or fresh. That’s helpful information. The other mods in the game, while more damaging than short circuit and old smoky, require rather exotic element (stingray tail, anyone?). While putting Deathstalker mods on every sharp weapon I find would be cool, finding the ingredients is problematic. The stingray tail retails for $2,000 at the vendors. OUCH!
7. Blunt mods: I’m open to suggestions about this topic – I typically stick with the mods that produce higher end results, ignoring some of the lesser variants. How about some suggestions?
8. My quick access menu:
* Molotov cocktails
* Primary melee weapon, fully upgraded
* Back up weapons of the same type, blunt or sharp. Not necessarily modded.
9. Developer mods: I’ve only crafted two: The hand of Glova, and the Homerun bat. I immediately disposed of the Glova mod, as I find its stamina depletion prohibitive. It’s like asking to get knocked down.
The homerun bat is a winner, and quite useful in Moresby, the sewers, and the prison. In tight quarters, it can blast a hole through the opposition. Personally, I recommend carrying TWO in some areas. They’re very handy, but quite fragile.
In summary, I prefer using the most easily found weapons, in a general purpose fashion, upgraded only with the most easily found elements.
I’d love to read your thoughts on your favorite weapons, mods, etc. Chime in!
Last edited by anotherlatehour; 03-17-2012 at 02:55 PM.
This is what I always have in my inventory and in my quick weapon wheel at all times.
1. Deathstalker Eviscerator
2. Deathstalker Wakizashi or Deathstalker Zed's Demise
3. Pride Pistol/ Pride Single Shot Rifle/ Shock Shotgun or Pride Short Shotgun
4. Home-run baseball bat (Developer's mod weapon)
5. Bleeding Blunt Speaker
6. Random Level 60 Legendary
7. Random Level 60 Legendary
All of these weapons are Level 60 Legendary Weapons except the developers home-run baseball bat.
The Pride Pistol has about 1100 damage all together with the upgrades and add on damage.
My inventory consists of all 3 weapons, shotgun, rifle and pistol with 6 other weapons, 30 molotovs/deo bombs or grenades and 2 stacks of 30 Large Medikits.I'm no "Hero". Never was....
Never Will be... I'm just an old killer
hired....To do some wet-work.
My list starts counterclockwise from the bottom right slot of my weapon wheel.
1. Random weapon that can be thrown or used for CQC. I don't care if it deteriorates or if I lose it.
2. The same as number one.
3. Pride Pistol
4. The same as numbers one and two.
5. The best modded sharp weapon I own.
6. The same as number five.
7. Some type of explosive just in case.
The only other thing I will carry is a stack of Medikits.
All my life I have lived with your used things.
Now something I have used is yours forever!
2. Homerun bat (dev. mod)
3. Deathstalker Wakizashi
4. Deathstalker Wakizashi
5. Short-circuit Wakizashi
6. Pride Pistol
7. Mindblowing Military Knife (usually I keep this around for fun)
I normally have like 6 sharp weapons (gotta love the Wakizashis and Zed), a blunt, pistol, rifle (single-shot), 60 deobombs, 30 molotovs, 30 medkits, and most of the time some alcohol I aquire.
I like carrying so many weapons because I throw a lot and I like to have backup ones when I lose the others.
One good handgun.
2 upgraded sharp weapons (which would get fix as needed)
Room for what ever weapon I find to use until it breaks or to throw to those zombies.
Honk if you're dead!
I have equipped:
Barbed Metal Kanabo
Tesla Gabriel's Sledgehammer
Dead Eye Heavy Pistol
Lightning-fast Short Shotgun
And I have a Shock Single Shot Rife, Deo-Bomb, 3 Grenades, Alcohol, and a Medium Medkit in my other slots. I prefer to use the Kanabo, Zeds, and Military Knife in my normal combat with Walkers, Infected, Thugs, and Floaters. I use the Deathstalker for butchers, one of the guns for Rams, and Gabriel's sledgehammer for large groups, or just to watch zombies fly a million miles away .
It's better in everything except Durability... Zed's got +5 on the Wakizashi.Memphis Grizzlies 2012 #TimeToGrind
- Join Date
- Jan 2012
I play with purna, so guns is my things. People say i have way too much guns, so tell me what you think. It does down right, clockwise.
2. Another wakizashi with dmg : 956+783 ( swing in the head when they come running , head chopper everytime)
3. Single shot rifle
4. Automatic rifle
7. For now its incendiary grenades, but i'll put any throwing explosive weapon( had fun with sticky bombs ).
Jin keeps all my knifes, so i can make sticky bombs when needed. And exept medkits, i keep my inventory empty so i can pick up any weapon that sells for a good price.
Last edited by Crazy-T; 04-28-2012 at 01:24 PM.
but if you use the same kind of gun doesnt the ammo run out for all your rifles?
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)